Saturday, June 2, 2012

Here we go again!

After computer issues, graduation and being sick, I am back to the blog.  I have made many fabulous recipes,cards and projects during the past weeks and I will be sharing them with you during the next couple of days as well as attempting some new projects.  One of my biggest projects for today was getting my lawn mowed.  I started at 7:45 this morning on the front lawn and finished the back yard at 9:30am.  It was my first time bagging the grass and so it definitely took a little bit of time.  I usually break up the project and do the front and back yards on different days, but it was perfect weather this morning.  73 degrees with a slight cloud cover.  I probably woke my neighbors but oh well.  Then I came inside to start the next thing.....laundry.  Egads, the chores never end.  At 10:00, I started my pot roast for dinner this evening.  I am trying a new recipe of course so I thought I would share.  I got the recipe off of pinterest but tweaked it to what I have in the house because I refused to go to the store. 


Bacon Mushroom Cola Pot Roast

It is made in the crock pot, so it get it out and get ready.

3-4 lb  pot roast
1/2 lb of bacon
3-5 Tablespoons of bacon drippings
1 package baby portabello mushrooms, sliced
1 package dry onion soup mix
2 tablespoons dried garlic
1 can of cola
2 Tablespoons butter

First, pour the cola into the crock pot which is set on low.  I used cherry coke zero.  Place the pot roast in the crock pot and sprinkle the onion soup and garlic over the roast and cola.  Put the lid on and move on to the next step.

Next, take the bacon and cook it until crisp.  I used turkey bacon.  I added a little bit of Crisco to infuse the bacon flavor and crisp it up since there aren't really drippings with turkey bacon.


After it is crisp, pour the bacon along with the drippings over the pot roast and cover.
Next take the mushrooms and the butter and lightly saute.
Then, pour them over the pot roast and cover.
Set your timer for 6-8 hours on low and let it do its thing.  You can use the juice and make a gravy, but my family does not enjoy gravy so I didn't make it.  Use a slurry of water corn starch and flour to thicken it up about I hour before serving and then let the roast cook in it for the remaining hour.  Here is the final product without the gravy. 

I got rave reviews.  It was moist and tore apart without a knife.  The bacon and mushrooms were terrific with it and added a lot of flavor.  I served it with potatoes and green beans.  I will definitely be using this recipe again.  Enjoy everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment