Monday, May 7, 2012

Cinco de Mayo

This is a little late, but in honor of cinco de mayo, I made flautas.  Cinco de Mayo is the day that the mexican people held back the Spanish Army from invading their country.  It is not independence day for Mexico, but it is definately a good day to celebrate.  So I started by making shredded chicken and shredded beef.  I actually made this about a month ago, but I tend to make big portions and freeze some for later.  Here are the recipes for the chicken and beef.  I made them both in the crock pot.

Shredded Chicken or Beef

2.5 lbs of chicken or chuck roast
1 vegetable stock cube
2 cups water
1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 Tablespoon cumin
1/2 Tablespoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Juice of 1 lime

Boil 2 cups water and add 1 vegetable stock cube.  Set aside.  In a small bowl, whisk together chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.  Place chicken or beef in slow cooker, pour vegetable stock  over and then squeeze fresh lime juice over.  Sprinkle with spice mixture.  Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low heat 8-10 hours.  Remove from slow cooker and shred removing fat and return to slow cooker.  Cover with lid and cook for another 30 minutes.  Remove from slow cooker and drain.
I use this for tacos, tostados, salads and pretty much any meal with a mexican flair.

Now for the flautas. 

Chicken or beef shredded
1 8 ounce jar of picante sauce ( I used salsa verde for the chicken and picante for the beef)
Shredded Montery jack cheese (Any cheese would work) (I used this for the chicken)
Shredded cheddar cheese (I used this for the beef)
Corn tortillas
Vegetable oil
Toothpicks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
In a bowl combine the chicken or beef with the picante sauce.  I used the salsa verde for the chicken and it was delicious so you might want to try it.





IN a small skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat.  PLace a corn tortilla in the oil for 1 or 2 seconds on either side to soften.  Place tortillas on paper towel to soak up some of the oil.

Put 1 Tablespoon of the chicken or beef mixture in the center of the tortillas and sprinkle some cheese on top.  Roll Up tortilla and insert toothpick to hold together.Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Repeat with the rest of the meat and tortillas.  If there is cheese leftover, sprinkle on top.



Bake tortillas in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until the tortillas are a little crispy and golden brown.  Serve with whatever garnishes.  I like just sour cream, but you get what you like.  This is the first time I made these, I enjoyed them, I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment