Monday, May 7, 2012

May 7th

It's the first day of living below the line.  It is difficult, but manageable.  I can't imagine doing this on a monthly basis.  Cheap food is not very healthy.  I could eat Ramen every day for $.10 but that is not very good for you.  Anyway, Here is my menu for the first day.

Breakfast: Oatmeal Porridge with honey

50 g rolled oats
1 cup of milk
1T sugar
1 T honey
dash of cinnamon

Mix rolled oats and milk and microwave for 2 minutes.
Stir, and add water if dry.  Add sugar and cinnamon, stir and put back in microwave for 1 minute. 
Sprinkle with cinnamon and add honey.  Stir and enjoy.

This lovely breakfast cost me $.21 for the oats.  $.15 for the milk and $.05 for the flavorings for a grand total of $.41.
It was surprisingly good and if I can afford it another day, I might add some banana. 

Lunch: Rice, Vegetables and Sausage

80 g of rice
1/2 cup frozen vegetables
1 or 2 sausages
1 cube stock
oil

Boil rice as directed using half of the stock cube.
Boil the vegetables with the other part of the stock cube.
Fry sausage until browned.

Mix together and enjoy.

The rice cost me $.23.  The frozen veggies cost me $.15.  The sausage cost me $.14 and the stock cube was $.03.  The total cost is $.55 and the total for the day was $.96 leaving me $.54 for dinner and a snack.
That's right Mom.......I ate peas (yuck!).  The sausage isn't in there yet.

Dinner:  Macaroni with Hot Buttered Corn

85 g of Pasta 
1/2 cup of corn (or any other frozen veggie)
3/4 oz of butter
In a medium saucepan, bring salted water to a boil and add pasta.  Cook as directed.  Then there is three minutes left, add the corn.
Drain and return to saucepan with butter.  Season to taste.

The cost of this was $.29 for the pasta, $.15 for the corn, and $.05 for the margarine.  I also added an egg matzo cracker for a whopping $.03 for a total of $.52, leaving me $.02 for the day.



In case you were wondering.  I drank water all day which was quite difficult because I am a sodaholic.  I may eat Ramen for lunch tomorrow and splurge on some coke for $.25.  We'll see.  Planning my food for tomorrow and cooking my breakfast and lunch now.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment